2024 INTERNSHIP APPLICATIONS NOW BEING ACCEPTED
The Dow Jones News Fund invites college students to apply for paid summer 2023 internships in data journalism, digital media, business reporting and multiplatform editing. The application deadline is Nov. 16, 2023.
The News Fund will select college journalists for internships with more than 50 news organizations across the country. Those selected will also benefit from week-long, pre-internship training, $1,500 scholarships, memberships to journalism groups and access to the DJNF alumni network for jobs and mentoring.
To be considered, students must apply by Nov. 16, and take a timed, online qualifying test. There are five training tracks. Students may apply for one or more.
- Audience Engagement: Learn the art of social media and audience development at every step of the process. This includes understanding analytics and developing a strategy, SEO best practices, graphic design for social media, photo selection and editing, AP Style and news judgment, newsletters and news curation and finding user-generated content and trending topics on social media.
- Business Reporting: Sharpen your reporting skills telling the stories of entrepreneurs, mergers and acquisitions, workers and labor unions, tech startups, Black-owned businesses, stocks and bonds, cryptocurrency, real estate and much more. Spend a week learning key elements of the business beat from the best in the business.
- Data Journalism: Spend next summer asking tough questions, digging into government records and building interactive data visualizations that reveal untold stories. At the DJNF data journalism program, interns learn computer-assisted reporting as well as how to analyze and clean data and make Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests.
- Digital Media: Learn how to flex your digital skills next summer. This program covers a little bit of everything—from creating engaging visual and audio content to analyzing web traffic and social media to learning the latest storytelling techniques—to make sure you are ready to jump into a rapidly evolving media ecosystem.
- Multiplatform Editing: If you love language and are passionate about fact-checking, grammar and spelling, you have a future in editing. Editors assess copy for accuracy, completeness, tone and style, write headlines and design pages. During the training, interns hone their visual design, headline writing and SEO skills, strengthen their news judgment and publish high quality content on deadline.
College sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students enrolled full time are eligible to apply, including December graduates. U.S. students studying abroad and international students already in the U.S. with work visas are also eligible.
Students must take the online test and submit a resume, unofficial transcript, three to five clips of their work or links to their work and a 500-word essay: “Tell us about a time you learned a life lesson the hard way.”
BOSTON GLOBE 2024 PAID SUMMER INTERNSHIP APPLICATIONS DUE NOV. 1
Reporting interns work as general assignment reporters in the news department as well as in the business, sports, or living/arts departments. Positions also are available in the photography and design departments, and on the news copy desk.
Students must have a May or June 2024 graduation date. The Globe says “an aptitude for journalism is the most important qualification,” but a previous internship is recommended. Reporting and photo applicants must have a driver’s license. Summer interns work as full-time employees for 12 weeks and work-shifts vary. There is a writing coach for the reporting interns, and discussions with editors and staff on a range of journalism topics for all of the interns. To apply, download the application at https://www.bostonglobe.com/about/help/internship/
Bloomberg News reports on the issues that matter to financial and business professionals – when they happen, and where they happen. As an intern, you will have the opportunity to gain hands-on reporting experience. You may report on markets, companies, economies and governments. Responsibilities may include pitching and writing enterprise stories, conducting exclusive interviews and collaborating with our other media platforms.
Prospective interns need:
- Prior experience and/or demonstrated interest in journalism through work experience or extracurricular activities
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- A passion for global financial markets, companies and economies
- Availability to work for 10 weeks, 40 hours per week, beginning in June 2023
- Minimum two years of undergraduate study completed
- Fluency in a foreign language is a plus, but not required
- Resume, cover letter, and preferably three samples of journalistic work on any platform
American Political Science Association – Congressional Fellowship, Washington, D.C. Deadline: Early December for the following fellowship year
American Society of Magazine Editors, New York/Washington, D.C. Deadline: Dec. 1 for applications for the following summer
Asian American Writers’ Workshop, New York
Association for Women in Sports Media, Norcross, Georgia. Deadlines: Mid-year for following summer
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Atlanta, Georgia. Deadline: Oct. 1
The Baltimore Sun Mary J. Corey Journalism Internship, Maryland. Deadline: Oct. 15
Bloomberg Deadline varies; see website
The Boston Globe, Boston. Deadline: Early November for following summer
Buzzfeed, New York. Deadline: Rolling
CBS News, New York, D.C., Los Angeles. Deadline: End of February
Charles G. Koch Summer Fellow Program Deadline: Before Dec. 1
Chicago Sun-Times, Chicago. Deadline: April 15
Chicago Tribune, Chicago. Deadline: Nov. 1 for summer
Chips Quinn Scholars, Washington, D.C. Deadline: Oct. 1
The Christian Science Monitor, Boston. Deadline: Early January
The Courier-Journal, Louisville, Kentucky. Deadline: Early November for the following summer
The Dallas Morning News, Dallas/Washington, D.C. Deadline: Late October or early November
The Daniel Pearl Investigative Journalism Initiative, Washington, D.C. Deadline: Varies
The Denver Post, Denver, Colorado. Deadline: Late October or November
Metpro Internship Program at Los Angeles Times or Chicago Tribune. Deadline: Early February
Miami Herald, Florida. Deadline: Oct. 31
NPR, various cities. Deadline: Early March
New York Times, N.Y. Deadline for summer: Mid-December
Orlando Sentinel Editorial Internship, Florida. Deadline for summer: March 1
Pulliam Journalism Fellowship, Indianapolis. Deadline: Nov. 1
Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, Washington, D.C. Deadline: Jan. 31
Slate Editorial Intern, N.Y. or D.C. Deadline: Feb. 1
Sports Journalism Institute, ASU, Arizona. Deadline: Nov. 1
The Washington Post, D.C. Deadline: Early October for following summer