Required New Media Kit
This entry-level multimedia journalism kit is required for all majors. Students should expect to use it in many journalism courses.
- iOS 7 (or later) device: Apple iPad mini, iPhone etc.
- This includes apps. Accessory items will be available for check out. The iPad option does not require a telephone service contract.
- 1 Terabyte Portable Hard Drive
Optional Multimedia DSLR Kit
- The DSLR option is designed for students who wish to compete at a higher level in the new media job market.
- Canon EOS Rebel 3ti with kit lens – or – Nikon 5100 or approved higher model DSLR camera
- Terabyte Portable Hard Drive
- Lavaliere Microphone
HOW DO I BECOME A MAJOR?
Students must apply to the Journalism Department to become majors. Access applications here. They must do so by the end of the third full week of classes in the fall or spring semester. A student who is not accepted initially may reapply in subsequent semesters. Forms can be obtained in the Journalism Department Student Resource Center, Oak Hall 457 or 468.
Students must meet the following two requirements:
1) Successful completion of at least 39 credits. (Students who are members in good standing of the University Honors Program may apply after completing 23 credits at UConn.)
2) Cumulative GPA of at least 2.8
– or –
1) Successful performance on a timed writing exercise administered by the department. Applicants taking the test must show mastery of the fundamental tools of writing, including spelling, grammar and syntax. The applicant’s academic record and goals also will be considered.
Download Plan of Study Forms below (in pdf).
PLAN OF STUDY FORMS –
More information for Journalism Majors can be found on the General Information page.